Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Or - If you wanna talk, talk, don't shoot...

First a short warning: consider this post as a text-only supplement, you may skip it, and will receive the usual post as scheduled...


As you may recall, in the first post I promissed no talking, but I did hint I am a blabbermouth, and since writing a blog is a great hyde-park, I sneak a soap box in it and examine things I didn't have the time to think of so far.

Since starting this blog I received from you a mix of responses: some find the post soothing/ dreamy (some actually fell asleep), while others  find it unclear/ disturbing. (I guess the bored responses were spared from me), and today I got a chance to talk to two people who would be happy to come for a visit, but are not sure what to bring...

The obvious answer is - 'bring yourself', but this is too easy, so what do I want? and why?

I think that what I am searching for is to get across some raw (or at least unpolished) experience, a human voice that is beyond ideas.

As a spectator/ consumer, I find myself often more fascinated by process than by result; by sketches and drafts, by getting a glimpse to someone's mind, participating in the struggle to transforms an idea into an object - be it a piece of music or a work of art.


Examples? the Beatles anthology vs their albums, Matisse sketches vs paintings, and the hums of Glenn Gould or Pablo Casals while playing vs the composition they play. 

Don't get me wrong, I am at awe while standing in front of a masterpiece just like the next guy, but masterpieces are rare, so I'd like at least to expose a true voice, be it mine or yours. and sharpen our ears to ideas instead being spoiled by finalized products. 

And this is what I'd love to achieve here - walk on the fine line that starts by taking a known song, an object, a state of mind, and goes thru the process of translating it to something organic, not a photo or a produced recording, but rather a few lines or a hum, so as not to erase the imperfections.

The idea is not to spike, but to leave thing open enough so that connecting the dots is still interesting. (you know how kids don't solve the connect-the-dots puzzle if it is too obviouse?)

So thanks for bearing with me (some pun intended...) to this post's  finish, and if you are up to the challenge - come over, bring some scanned skethes, or some music you record. and we'll play it by ear.

gon out, backson, bisy, backson, 
the Bear.




2 comments :

  1. My dear dear Dovki,
    It's about time for me to join this party :)

    I loved (most of) the drawings you published - the forest, the tulips, the paris ones, the reading person in the last post, to name just a few - and I enojy listening to you play the guitar (I even keep quiet while you're recording!), but here, reading this post, I just have to comment (you know me, I'm a words' girl..).

    You've put your thoughts into words in such a simple and precise way, you explained so well what you're looking for, what is it that you're trying to do.

    Alot like you, I also find the way, the process, the צד התפר (I have no idea how to translate this..) fascinating. Do you remember how we examined Matisse's work at the Centre Pompidou, manymany years ago, in order to find the fine pencil marks?

    I want to thank you for giving me (and others) the chance to join you in this voyage to the beginning of things, to the unpolishedמהוסס, ראשוני, חוקר, מתלבט, מרתק. And for explaining so well what is your focus here.

    Lots of love and admiration,
    Rinat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My priceless Rin,
    You left me schpitzless...
    (And how did you find my secret identity ?! )
    Love & Admiration right back at ya!

    ReplyDelete

What's the first thing on your mind? (help)